Thursday, December 7, 2023

Silent Night, Wretched Night - A Wretched & Alone Game: Intro and The First Communication

 Introduction

It’s December and this year I am and doing a themed solo adventure for Christmas.  I plan on posting several times over the next few weeks, with the final ending being on either Christmas or Christmas Eve.

This adventure will be based on Silent Night, Wretched Night, a journaling game.  As you might be able to tell from the title, it is based on the Wretched & Alone system.  I’ve discussed this system before in this post, but in a nutshell (chestnut, perhaps) you are required to make journal posts based on prompts you receive by pulling standard playing cards.  In addition to the cards, you have 10 tokens and a Jenga tower (or one hundred dice).  Some prompts will ask you to remove a token, or in this game, eat a sweet.  If you eat all ten, you win.  Other times you will be asked to pull from the tower.  If the tower falls (or you eliminate all the dice by rolling 1’s), you lose. You can also win or lose by pulling all the Aces or all the Kings, respectively.

The core premise of the game was written by Luke Russell.  The background and story-telling method are mine.

Also, a little disclaimer, not everything in this story is all sugar plums and happy feels.  There are times it may get dark and gruesome.

PROLOGUE:

For years, children have been misinformed.

They’ve been told that every Christmas Eve a mysterious man travels the world.  He goes by many names -- Santa Claus, Père Noël, Saint Nick, Kris Kringle, Father Christmas -- but the story is typically the same. His job is to bring toys and gifts to all the good little boys and girls around the world.

In reality, it’s the parents who have always been the gift givers.  Sometime, long ago, it was agreed that Christmas would be a special time for all families to buy special gifts for each other.  However, as children’s desires have grown, parents found they could not keep up. So, they enlisted the help of the man dressed in red.

Oh, I never said Santa Claus wasn’t real.  I only meant that he was an afterthought, not the originator.  Sorry for any confusion.  Times and technology may have changed, but Santa still travels the world in one night, helping parents everywhere make sure the kids have brightly colored gifts in their stockings or under their trees.

However, Santa’s journey has been threatened as of late.  Not everyone wants him to spread joy around the world.  One such evil being has made it their goal to stop Santa in his tracks.  That being is Dracula.


TAKE OFF

SANTA: This is JOLLY-ONE calling Aire Traffic Control.  Are you there, Sprinkles?

ATC: (Child-like female voice)  I hear you loud and clear, JOLLY-ONE. However, this isn’t Sprinkles. He caught the Elven Flu.  My name is Peppermint. I will be monitoring your flight instead.

SANTA: Peppermint?  You must be a new elf.  How long have you been at the Pole?

ATC: Only a couple of months, but I assure you, I have been well-trained. I’m pulling up this year's list and I will be sending the first batch of stops to your Global Present System.

SANTA: Sounds great.  Dasher is getting restless.  I think he’s ready to kick it into high deer.  Is there any sign of BS?

ATC: No, sir.  You’ll get only honesty from me.

SANTA: Ho Ho Ho! I’m sorry. I should have been more clear.  BS stands for “BLOOD SUCKER”. That’s Dracula’s call sign.

ATC: Oh.  No, sir.  The skies are currently clear.  I think you’ll have a smooth ride tonight.

SANTA: If only I had your confidence.  Ah, the list is in the GPS and I’m on my way. I’ll check in shortly.  On Dasher. On Dancer . . .

===============
COMMUNICATION 1 (100 DICE, 10 SWEETS):

SANTA: Come in, Aire Traffic Control.  I am nearing the first stop.  Can you give me an update?

ATC: Skies are clear and I still have no sign of Drac . . . uh, the Blood Sucker.  Perhaps he’s decided to give up?

SANTA: Oh no, Peppermint.  He’s out there. And don’t let your guard down.  That is his pattern.  He’ll wait till I’ve delivered gifts throughout many of the Pacific Islands and usually Australia to generate a false sense of security.  But after that, it’s anyone’s guess. One year he struck as I turned north to Japan. Another year I was midway through Asia and I thought Dracula may had actually taken the night off. Then, when I wasn’t expecting it, he flew up under the sleigh and tried to unhitch the reindeer.  Nearly ended in disaster, but luckily, Donner and Blitzen sensed what was happening and kicked the Blood Sucker in the head until he let go. 

We can’t let our guard down at any time tonight.  Our job is too important.

ATC: You should be at the first house but now.

SANTA: Yes, I see it.  I’ll check back after this first neighborhood.

________________________
Roll Results: 1 card

Ace of Hearts: Recalling your interactions with the Lord of Darkness you realize
there is a pattern to his behaviour. What is this pattern?
Do not discard this card. If this is the fourth Ace that you have pulled
then you have discovered Dracula’s weakness. Write one more entry
detailing how you defeat the Vampire once and for all.

(Continue the story here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment