Sunday, October 30, 2022

Halloween 2022: Whispers in the Walls (Journal 5-7)

 (Begin this story here.)

JOURNAL 5:

(Click image for full size.)

Most classrooms empty. Don’t spend too much time in them just in case my light can be seen through  dirty windows. 

Found a large storage closet. Boxes. Ancient computers. Stacks of books.

As I search I noticed movement overhead.  I shone my light. Ceiling is moving! Dirt, cobwebs, twisting, turning, forming a picture. Blurry. Childlike figures, but incomplete, One figure slim, round head. The other more triangular in shape, head and body. Long hair? Dress perhaps? Boy? Girl? 

[Sketch of shadowy boy and girl]

The boy(?) leans into the girl. She raises her hands and flees. Scared? 

No, wait! I feel like I know. It was a kiss and the girl didn’t expect it. A dare, perhaps?

WHY am I seeing this?!  

HOW am I seeing this?! 

Is the school showing me it’s . . . memories?

But that’s crazy! 

Buildings aren’t alive!


====================

JOURNAL 6:




(Click image for full size.)

What else will I find in this building? I searched another classroom. Foot tripped on something. Flashlight revealed a bump in the floor. The bump grew. Became round.  The base squeezed, pinched, until the raised portion broke off. 

[Sketch of rising floor]

I picked it up. The “sphere” was oblong with various designs etched all around it.  An Easter Egg? The Eggs was light, hollow.  Curious I broke it open. Ew!!! Smells like rotten eggs. A lost Easter Egg found many months later.

[Sketch of smelly Easter egg]

I don’t think the school was abruptly closed in October, February, or April. I suspect it was a normal closure in between terms. Odd and fantastic as it sounds, I think the school is morphing itself, decorating rooms.  It is recreating memories.

Haunted?

Did Karin see all this? Is this why she liked coming here?

Can’t leave yet. Need to learn more.

====================

JOURNAL 7:

(Click image for full size.)

[Pages smeared and spattered with blood.]

I found the cafeteria. Must double as an assembly hall because there is a stage at one end of the room. A curtain runs along the back.  Behind the curtain are props, costumes. Backstage! [Simple plan of cafeteria/stage layout] There is a full length mirror. As I look in a scene begins to form behind me. The room is filled with young children. Excited. Laughing. They are wearing fantasy costumes? Knights, elves . . . even a dragon. So real, but a glance behind me confirms the real backstage is empty.

One of the children in the mirror speaks to me. I’m startled. The building’s been silent for so long. He is dressed in a robe and asks me to hand him his staff. Wizard? I looked around and spotted a wooden pole. I stuck one end in the mirror. He grabbed it. As he did I felt transported into the mirror.  Into the scene. I knew everyone’s name!

[Sketch of the mirror with the shadowy image of the boy]

The wizard's was Dougie. Sally was a princess. Teddy and Bobby were the dragon.

But perspective was wrong. I was too small. Eye to eye with Dougie. My hand was bare - a child’s. Was I a boy?

I let go of the staff  and was outside the mirror . . . almost.  Hand still in glass.  I pulled. It held - not letting go. Pulled till the glass shattered. Cuts all over my hand. Damn!

Is this what happened to the dog?  Did the school try to suck him in? Ripped his leg off as he tried to escape?
(Continue story here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment