Sunday, February 13, 2022

Love Sinks: A February/Valentines Dating Show Experience

It’s Valentine’s month and, as I often do around holidays and other events, I will be playing a themed game to commemorate the event.  This time I will be playing Love Sinks, a Wretched & Alone game (by Alec Henry). While I am playing this in honor of Valentine’s Day, it certainly will not be completed before that time. If you are unfamiliar with Wretched & Alone, check out the introduction to my playthrough of the game The Buried for an explanation of how the game is played and the specific tools I personally use to run the game. 

Love Sinks is a reality television dating show where I will compete against several other eligible bachelors to win the affection of the youngest heir of the Atlantean royal family. No, not Atlanta, Georgia. Atlantis, as in the lost continent. In this reality, the Atlantean society has been living underwater for centuries and has recently reconnected with the surface world. For reasons not yet explained in the game’s introduction, the royal family has agreed to let their young Princess appear on this dating show.

At the start of the game, we only know a few things about the Atlanteans. First, they appear as human but with very fish-like features, the result of technology they developed to alter their bodies, allowing them to live underwater. Next, they can live for long periods of time on the land, providing they regularly submerge themselves in water. And finally, they have a royal family. Anything else about Atlantean culture will be discovered throughout the course of the game.

Each turn will represent one week on the show. I will draw a random number of playing cards and then write a confessional based on the prompts referenced by the cards. (While producing videos of each confessional does sound fun, I'm not that ambitious this time around. Once again, for reference, see The Buried.) The game uses all four card suits and the two jokers. Heart cards represent things that happen on dates; Diamonds, my body’s transformation; Spades, things about my past; Clubs, information about the show; and Jokers, the elimination of a contestant.  Instead of a Jenga tower, Love Sinks starts the contestant off with 43 balloons that are popped as viewers determine who they want to vote off the show. During the game, some cards will instruct the player to “pop” a number of balloons.  If all the balloons are popped, the character is voted off the show.

One last thing, starting with daily pills, my character will be subject to the Atlantean transformation technology, preparing him for a life underwater should the princess choose him at the end of the show.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Any oracle rolls, description prompts, etc. will be generated using the tools at rpgsolo.com unless otherwise noted.

INTRODUCTION

(I am seated in the confessional room. Behind me are nautical-themed items and wall decoration.)

. . . So, you just want me to talk about myself? . . . Okay. Well, hello. I’m Darin Noble. Heh, appropriate name. Sorry, I’ll start again. Hello, I’m Darin Noble and I am the perfect match for Nadreall, the heir of Atlantis. I am a graphic novel writer from Orlando, Florida and  I decided to come on Love Sinks because, well, obviously I want to meet the Princess, but also to represent our race in a respectable manner. I believe I’m well suited for this. I’m a loyal and trusted companion. If I make a promise or agree to something, I go out of my way to keep my word. All my friends say, “If you need something done, ask Darin.” Unfortunately, that probably contributes to my greatest flaw. I tend to be a little paranoid. It’s not that I think everyone is out to get me, but that I’m afraid I’m always falling short somewhere and people are disappointed in me, like they can’t trust me . . . What do I like most about the princess? I think that would be her inquisitiveness. I think we both share that. She’s curious about us. I’m curious about the Atlantean culture. We can learn a lot from each other. And if I’m being honest, that aquamarine skin is a bit of a turn-on. You don’t see that every day . . . No, I don’t think there’s any more responsibility dating Nadreall than any other woman. Yes, she’s royalty, but she has something like, what is it,  six or seven older siblings? . . . Twenty-seven? Wow! But that just reinforces my point. I have no delusions of ever ruling over the Atlanteans. It’s not like Nadreall will ever be the queen with that many brothers and sisters ahead of her. Now, I suspect some of the other guys might be after the title, but that’s not me . . . Of course, I’m nervous about the transformation. Who wouldn’t be? But I look at it this way, these Atlanteans appear to have perfected this technology. They’ve lived this way for probably hundreds of years. They know what they are doing. Right?

Nadreall Benbani, Princess of Atlantis

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

WEEK 1

Confessional:

We finally met Nadreall the other night, and wow, is she attractive! I mean, I’ve seen pictures and watched her on the news, but in person is something else. You just don’t realize the detail of her scales. They’re beautiful, the way they shimmer. I thought they might be pointy or sharp, but when we hugged they were surprisingly smooth and soft . . . Oh yeah, that was a bit awkward. I wanted to hold her hand while I spoke to her at the cocktail party. I like to entwine my fingers with the other person’s hand, but when I tried that with Nadre I couldn’t get them in there because of her webbing. Thankfully, she took it gracefully and found the humor in the situation . . . What do I think of the other guys?  They seem okay. So far I have no issues. I do wonder about their expectations. James, for instance. He told me that he quit his job, has his house up for sale, and has begun to say farewell to his family and friends. I mean, he’s pretty sure he’s going to be moving to Atlantis. He says it’s because he is “all in” and wants the Princess to know he’s really here for her, that he has nothing tying him to the surface. On the one hand, I get it, but you have to be realistic. There’s a large group of men here. Most of us are going home. Is it really smart to give up everything? And what if it turns out he’s not that interested in her?  Then what? Hey, I’m as big a sucker for those clear, blue eyes as the next guy (I pause and smile thinking about Nadre’s eyes.), but you need to be sure there is a mutual attraction before you uproot your entire life. Am I wrong?

==========

The Rolls:

Draw: 1 card - okay, slow start.

Four of Spades - Another contestant admits they've cut off all ties from their past life for this. Are you jealous or judgmental of their commitment?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

WEEK 2

Confessional:

(I hold up a folded piece of paper.) I was unpacking and look what I found. Stuffed in a pant pocket was a letter from my brother, Hunter. <Reading> “Hey little bro, you are going to do great! Think about it, you’re about to live out the fantasies we’ve only written about.  I’m a little jealous.” Hunter and I work together on graphic novels. Fantasy heroes and all that kind of stuff. He’s right. The Atlanteans are, in a way, the fantastic people that till now have only existed in comics and movies. It’s encouraging to know he’s rooting for me. I was afraid he might think I was leaving him high and dry. Of course, that’s silly. I can write no matter where I am, but if things go well that might be my only regret, not seeing Hunter all the time.

. . . The transformation? Now that was unpleasant. I thought those bitter-tasting pills were bad enough. I guess they condition our cells to be receptive to the transformation tech? I least that’s what I understand. Anyway, Nadre met all us bachelors in the clinic this week. Apparently, it was “leg day.” Each of us entered this chamber and a bright light shone on our legs. It was warm, uncomfortable. But when it was done we had webbing between our toes and small fins began to sprout from the back of our legs. Creepy. You wouldn’t think some webbing would be that noticeable but I did have trouble walking after leaving the clinic. I even tripped once. That was embarrassing. But we all felt it. Have you ever had something suddenly grow out of your skin? I guess not. Well, it’s rather painful. Stretching skin feels like a million hairs being pulled out all at once. No one could do much except lay in bed for the rest of the night. I hope this gets easier.

But then we had the group date. Nadre met us at the shore where she was ready for us to try out our new feet and fins. It was a swimming challenge. We all had to swim out to a buoy and back and the winner received extra time with the Princess. To be honest, I didn’t expect to win as I’m not much of a speed swimmer, but some of those guys were really going for it. A bit too aggressive, if you ask me.  Freddy especially. He pushed my head under as he swam past. I swallowed a bunch of water and had to stop.  If I wasn’t doing great to begin with, that certainly ended my chances.  Nadreall asked me about it during the evening portion of the date. For our alone time, she took me to an underwater reef just offshore. First of all, breathing and talking underwater, what a trip! Another effect of the pills, I’m assuming. Anyway, she expressed concern over my having to drop out of the race, so I told her about being dunked. She was sympathetic but quick to defend Freddy, suggesting that he was just passionate about trying to impress her. “After all,” she said, “You want your future boyfriend to be someone who fights for you.” True, but there’s a point where a gentleman’s challenge turns into an obnoxious fight.

. . . Oh this? (I hold up a gold-colored shell) Nadreall gave it to me.  It was just lying there in the sand where we were sitting in the reef. <What does it mean when you find a golden shell? Passion/Joy> She said that in her culture, finding a gold shell means you are about to find increased joy in the things you are passionate about. Of course, I immediately thought about our potential relationship, but she asked about my hobbies. I told her I love to play tabletop role-playing games. Ha. I’m such a nerd. Can you believe she had no idea what a role-playing game is? That really brought home to me just how isolated from the rest of the world Atlantis has been . . . Oh, yes. Nadre was fascinated at the thought of pretending to be someone else and living another life. In fact, she made me promise to teach her how to play. That’s when she gave me the golden shell, for good luck in my games and to remind me to teach her . . . Did we kiss? I wanted to, but no. We just kept it friendly.

. . . Ah, the balloon ceremony. Don’t remind me. That was tense. It’s pressure enough trying to impress the Princess. Having to win over the viewers also is just nerve-racking. Seven balloons! I think that was one of the largest number popped. And I thought I was doing well. Wait! Its not just us watching. Atlantis is watching also. Right? . . . I wonder if they’re who want me voted off. I failed at swimming. I barely handled the transformation. Maybe they think the Princess can do better. Wow. This is awful. I’m doomed!

==========

The Rolls:

Draw: 5 cards

Ace of Spades: You receive an encouraging letter from someone close. It gives you the strength to persevere. Set this card aside. On any subsequent roll for Balloons of your choosing, you may discard this card instead.

Five of Diamonds: The Heir brings you to a clinic where they shine a strange light all over your legs. Later, you develop webbing between your toes and small fins along your legs. Your legs hurt for the day and you lose your balance several times. How do you react to this? Roll (1d6) for balloons. Lose 6 balloons

Four of Clubs: Another contestant has become very obnoxious and competitive, but the Heir tells you later that they appreciate the passion. How does that make you feel? Are you intimidated or are you just as competitive?

Ten of Hearts: You introduce the Heir to your favorite hobby, something they have no experience with. How does it bring you closer together?

Ace of Hearts: The Heir has brought you to a beautiful underwater grove. They give you a token of their affection. What is it and why is it special?

Roll for balloons. Lose 1 balloon.  Set this card aside and place 10 tokens on it. At the end of every episode, roll a six-sided dice. If you roll a six, remove a token from this card. This represents another token being gifted to you. After all 10 tokens have been removed, the Heir has selected you as the winner of Love Sinks. You can record a final confession about your triumph.

Token Roll: 5    Tokens remaining: 10

(Continued here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment