Saturday, September 14, 2019

Kage Gordain - Chapter 2: The Horizon

(Read previous chapter here.)

Game System: Tunnels & Trolls
Tools: rpgsolo.com solo engine; d30 Sandbox Companion; UNE; r/Behind the Tables; other random generators

Setup: 

To determine which adventure to choose, I decided to let each character get a vote based on a random table. Since the “Island Adventure” received the most interest from readers, I weighted that choice heavier. Based on a d8 roll 1-4=Island Adventure, 5-6=Cathedral, 7-8=Lighthouse

I figured some of my characters might have personal preferences as to which task they would want to accept. In those cases I adjusted by one pip, adding or subtracting a point to the appropriate ranges. (i.e. Galen would lean toward the job that paid more, so I took a point from the Island Adventure and added it to the Lighthouse.)

Kris, Syl, and Nen had no preferences, so they rolled straight. Kris and Nen both chose the Island while Syl wanted to explore the Cathedral, as it seemed much more exciting and she was itching for some challenging combat. 

Dalen, being a dwarf, typically feels much more at home underground. Also, he is always looking for the most interesting stories to turn into tales to tell the town’s children. Therefore, I moved one point from the Island over to the Lighthouse. Surprisingly, he avoided both subterranean jobs and suggested they explore the island. Perhaps he thought “Mysterious Island” made for a better story after all.

Kelseen, being a staunch follower of Ilmis, the Goddess of Light, would prefer the mission with religious implications. Tozhug, only being understood by Kelseen, his friend, tends to mainly go on missions with the female warrior. For both I shifted one point from the island and added it to the Cathederal. Once again, the rolls surprised me as Kelseen voted for the lighthouse (for who knows why) and Tozhug opted for the island. His reason, as interpreted by Kel, was that he’d never been on a ship before.

As mentioned in my example, I adjusted Garlen’s roll in the direction of the Lighthouse, but I guess he felt that Kolvarod the Arcanist was a bit too pompous and his task too self-serving, for he too opted to help Sirisea find out what is going on with their island.

Five votes for the island adventure seals the deal. Our team is going sailing. Now for our team. I chose to send Kristopher, Sylralei, Kelseen and Dalen. Kristopher because I expect he’ll be my primary POV for this campaign; Sylralei and Dalen because they already have a relationship with Kristopher (not to mention I feel I can have some fun writing Sylralei); and Kelseen, partly by default (I’ll explain in a moment) and partly because I like the interaction between her and the elf. Since we already have a wizard, I felt Nen would be redundant. Which left the two warriors. I planned on a team of four which meant I only had room for one: Kelseen or Tozhug. Since Tozhug would have difficulty communicating without Kelseen, it seemed obvious that he would stay home and spend some time visiting with his clan.

The team:

Kristopher Miglward - Lvl 1 Male Human Rogue (Outlaw)
STR: 17   CON: 18
DEX: 14   SPD: 12
INT: 10   WIZ: 10
LCK: 17   CHA: 14  Total Personal Adds: 12

WEAPONS: Scimitar (4 dice); Dirk (2 dice + 1)
ARMOR: Leather (6 Hits)
TALENTS*: Roguery (+4 LCK); Endurance (+4 CON)
LANGUAGES: Common
SPELLS: (LVL 1)Oh There It Is


Sylralei Lumnum - Lvl 2 Female Elven Wizard
STR: 12   CON: 17
DEX: 11   SPD: 8
INT: 15   WIZ: 26
LCK: 15   CHA: 20  Total Personal Adds: 3

WEAPONS: Magic Quarterstaff (2 dice, reduces WIZ cost for spells); Bich’wa Dagger (2 dice + 3)
ARMOR: Blue Leather w/Silver highlights, custom fitting (6 Hits); +1 Cloak 
       (1 Hit)
TALENTS*: Balance (+1 DEX); Marksmanship (3 pt. bonus to missile attacks); 
          Well-Connected(Might know someone who can help in certain situations.)
LANGUAGES: Elven, Common, Serpentine, Simian
SPELLS: (LVL 1)Detect Magic, Lock Tight, Will-O-Wisp, Knock Knock, Oh There 
         It Is, Take That You Fiend, Vorpal Blade, Oh go Away, Teacher, 
         Hocus Pocus (LVL 2) Poor Baby, Magic Fangs, My Wish Your Command**


Kelseen Havensorrow - Lvl 1 Human Warrior
STR: 18   CON: 10
DEX: 10   SPD: 8
INT: 10   WIZ: 5
LCK: 8    CHA: 8  Total Personal Adds: 6

WEAPONS: +1 Broad Sword (3 dice + 4 + 1[magic]); Crossbow (5 dice)
ARMOR: Scale Mail (16 [8x2 for Warrior Class]); Target Shield (8 [4x2 
       for class])
TALENTS*: Brawling (+5 STR)
LANGUAGES: Common, Urook
INVENTORY: Master Crafted Compass (+10 to direction SR)


Dalen Dimflayer - Lvl 2 Male Dwarven Rogue
STR: 22   CON: 20
DEX: 13   SPD: 7
INT: 14   WIZ: 6
LCK: 16   CHA: 8  Total Personal Adds: 15

WEAPONS: Broad Axe (4 dice); +1 Sax Dagger (2 dice + 5 + 1[magic])
ARMOR: Scale Mail (8 Hits); Target Shield (4 Hit)
TALENTS*: Roguery (+4 INT); Literary Knowledge (+4 INT);   
          Well-Connected (Might know someone who can help.)
LANGUAGES: Dwarven, Common, Trollish
SPELLS: (LVL 1)Oh go Away

* Talents apply to their skill SR bonus only when the task is related to the talent.

** The spell “My Wish Your Command” is a charm person spell that exists in the Version 5 rulebook. The only difference is that I changed the name of the spell because . . . well . . . simply put, the original name, while possibly acceptable back in the 70s/80s, comes across as a bit racist in today’s culture.

In addition to their individual goods, the party leaves with 1d4=4 healing potions from the Kage Gordain common stash. (I modeled the healing potions after D&D potions. Each heals 2d4+2 CON points.)

[Scene 1]

The fastest route to Sirisea is by ocean, requiring the party to travel down the Raven’s River to the port at the river’s mouth. After gathering their armor and equipment, the four board a barge moored at the docks on the outskirts of town.  The uneventful journey down the river takes nearly a full day.

Once they arrive, Kelseen and Dalen make several inquiries along the wharf until they find a merchant ship making the journey to Sirisea, a fine carrack named The Horizon. The four book passage, then look for a room at a nearby inn for the night, as they set sail early the next morning for the five-day journey.

[Scene 2]

(Encounter Roll: 1d6=1 From r/behind the tables Sailing Ship Encounters: At the next stop in port the sailors sing a batch of work songs the bards have never heard before.)

Most of the first day’s journey is along the Egronian coast, as the Horizon is scheduled to pick up additional cargo at the port in Fayhand before heading out to sea. They reach dock around dusk and Syralei, Kristopher and Dalen decide to go ashore with some of the other sailors to find some drink and grub. Kelseen, not one to frequent seedy establishments, chooses to stay aboard and keep an eye on their supplies. Dalen considers it a smart move, as the group is not familiar with this crew and their honesty. Sylralei considers it wise, as she is sure Kelseen would be a bore.

Source: http://fav.me/d5wt3l8

"The Horizon" in port

The trio soon comes upon a windowless two-story building with a sign mounted near the door identifying it as the Baron’s Flail Tavern. [From d30 Sandbox Companion] Entering, they find a typical bar and serving room alive with the conversation and singing of sailors and ruffians alike. In each of the four corners of the room stands a stone statue of some breed of wild cat: panther, leopard, tiger, and lion. Perhaps the most surprising thing in the room were the professional women, as they were uncharacteristically attractive for an establishment of this sort.

“Don’t stare too long,” Syl warns Kris. “You might find yourself being charged for the privilege.” 

“Interesting statues,” Kris notes.

“My guess is they’re symbolic for the type of game the Baron likes to hunt,” suggests Dalen.

“With his flail?” Syl asks, referencing the tavern’s name.

Dalen is about to respond when he simply bursts out in hearty laughter at the joke.

The three find space at the bar while the rest of the Horizon’s crewmen filla couple of tables. Just beyond them, a crew from another ship join together in a drunken shanty. When they finish, the Horizon’s crew ask them to sing it again, as they had never heard the tune before. Kris, Syl, and Dalen listen more closely as the song speaks of dangerous islands to the east. Their curiosity is piqued, as there is a possibility that the song might hold some clues to their own destination, but in the end, the details were simply too vague to identify any specific location.

[Does the song sound like it holds any importance to the group?
(50/50 | 8[d10]) Yes
Is it about their destination?
(Somewhat Unlikely | 6[d10]) No, but… It does talk about island dangers in the east, which is where the group is heading.]

The night goes on and the human, elf, and dwarf relax and drink a few tankards of ale. After a while, a sailor wearing patched breeches sidles up next to Sylralei. As he puts his elbows up on the bar, she notices a tattoo of a large black snake wrapped around his upper arm. Written amongst the creature's scales is a date, which typically means it commemorates some significant event in the life of the one who wears it. [RG from r/behind the tables Sailor generator]

[Do any of the patrons give Syl any trouble?
(50/50 | 5[d10]) No, but… One does mistake her for one of the prostitutes.
UNE for NPC: friendly-support-campaign = Thinking Syl’s a prostitute looking for a client, the sailor is willing to help in any way he can (wink, wink).]

“Can’t say we get many elves here in the Flail,” the tattooed sailor opens the conversation. 

“Is that so?” Sylralei replies. She nods toward the man’s arm. “Your snake’s dated. What’s the story?”

“When I was a bit younger my crew was hired to transport our cargo to the client's storehouses, a two days journey through the jungle. Along the way, our captain was set upon by a giant black constrictor. Without hesitation or any concern for my own well-being, I leaped upon the beast and sliced it open with my dirk.” He makes a swiping gesture in front of him as if slashing something with an imaginary dagger. “Saved my captain’s life that day. Earned me a promotion and this momento.” He nods towards the tattoo.

Syl smiles in approval.

Sailor Snake looks around at the other patrons, then turns back to the silver-haired elf. “I hate to see you here all alone.”

“Oh?”

“Like I said, we don’t see many elves of your profession. Unfortunately for you, most men are wary of what they don’t know. Tend to stick with humans. But I hate to see you go home without a fair even’ns wage. Let me buy you a drink, then I’ll . . . uh . . . show you around town?”

“Thanks for the offer,” Syl says, getting up off the stool. “But I’m afraid you are a bit...large for my tastes. I prefer my men small.” She drops her hand to rest behind Dalen’s head before gently nudging him toward the door. The dwarf blushes while simultaneously stifling a snicker at the absurdity of Sylralei’s suggestion. As she walks out the door, Sylralei playfully waves her fingers at the sailor. Kristopher pays their tab and discreetly follows behind.

[Scene 3]

[I am charging each character 10 gp to cover drinks, lodging, food and passage fees for the entire journey.

Navigation: Once a day I will make a navigation check to see if the ship stays on course. First I determined the INT of the navigation using 3d6 + 1d6 for experience. INT=15. Next, using column III of the d30 Sandbox Companion weather event table, I determine the sailing conditions. Based on those conditions, I determine the level of INT SR needed to stay on course: L1 for clear or single-cell event, L2 for multi-cell non-severe events, L3 for multi-cell severe events and supercell. If the navigator fails his roll, the Off-course Determination tables will be consulted. If the ship veers off-course by more than 12 degrees twice, an extra day is added to the journey.

System Inf: Saving Rolls (SR) are based on 2d + stat. The target score for L1 is 20, L2 is 25, etc. adding 5 for each level. Doubles allow you to roll again and a “1” and “2” is an automatic fail.

Day 3 - leave port. Weather: 8=No precipitation  Nav Roll: L1SR=7+15=22 Success 
Encounter Roll: 1 (Instead of consulting Behind the Tables, I am opting for an event of my own creation.)

The Horizon sets sail in the morning for the four-day journey to Sirisea. After the first hour or so, the sailors fall into a normal routine and there is little for the party of adventurers to do except rest, roam around the deck, or gaze out over the water. All is fine until, just before the sun goes down, a shrill shriek pierces the air. All on the deck, including Kris, Dalen, and Kelseen, turn to see a tense Sylralei staring in white-faced horror at a coil of rope. Speaking the words of a Take That You Fiend spell, the elven wizard reaches out her hand and sends a directed burst of energy at the coil. The group barely catches sight of the small, grey mouse poking out its head before the rodent is blasted into oblivion, bits of hair, tail, and blood spraying across the freshly swabbed deck.

“She can fight off 10 goblins and a Warg,” Dalen explains to Kris, “But a mouse crosses her path and she just falls to pieces.”

With a wide, mirthy smile, Kelseen walks up to the shaken elf and puts a consoling arm around her shoulders. “It’s okay, Syl. The bad, bad mouse is gone now.”

Syl shudders, oblivious to Kelseen’s patronizing tone. “Ugh! Those things are evil! Pure evil!”

[Scene 4]

Day 4 - at sea. Weather: Single Cell event, 27 min., 1” rain 4 mph wind     Nav Roll: 1LV SR= 9+15=24 Success!   
Encounter Roll: 1 (My we are having an eventful journey. d20 on Behind the Tables - A woman stares mournfully at the sea. She seems an unlikely passenger.  I began rolling on the d30 Companion’s NPC tables for inspiration until I got Motivation = Avoiding Responsibility. At that moment I knew after whom this NPC would be modeled.)

The next morning the passengers and crew awake to an overcast sky. Dark clouds form around the ship and the skies open in a downpour. Though the storm drops a fair amount of rain, it only lasts about half an hour and the sun’s rays soon break through the clouds.

Later that afternoon, while Dalen is taking a walk on the deck, he spots a young woman standing at the rail staring out to sea with a forlorn look across her face. While she was not originally on the vessel when Dalen and the others began their journey on the Horizon, he recalls her boarding right before the ship cast off from Fayhand. She is pretty with a round face framed by dark brown, nearly black, hair that falls just below her shoulders in relaxed curls. Her long garments are akin to those worn by the caravan merchants who travel to Egron from the west. Dalen finds little else remarkable about her appearance, save for the long, jagged scar that runs down her right arm. 

The Dwarf takes a place next to her by the rail just as two marine creatures arch out of the sea and dive back into the waves in unison. 

“Those dolphins are beautiful creatures,” he begins. “Wouldn’t you say?” 

“Dolphins,” the young woman repeats as though she is hearing the name for the first time. “Yes, I suppose they are. We don’t have oceans or dolphins back home.”

“And where might that be?”

“Anzakàr.”

Ahh, the desert. that would explain the dress, Dalen thinks.

Turning to face his new acquaintance, Dalen sticks out his hand in greeting. “Dalen Dimflayer. Adventurer and Hunter of Tales.”

A smile breaks through her doleful countenance as she accepts the offered hand. “Lachaidiga. And what tales are you hunting today?”

“Yours, I hope.”

Source: http://aleaiactandaest.blogspot.com/2014/09/runequest-solo-part-vi-plots-and.html
A smile breaks through her doleful countenance...

“And what makes you think I have a tale worth hunting?” Lachaidiga asks, turning back to the sea.

“A young girl traveling alone, an unlikely passenger on a merchant ship, stares out over the horizon with a look of sorrow. There must be a story in there somewhere.”

She lets out a quiet sigh. “It’s really not that exciting a tale. I come from an influential family back in Anzakàr. My parents are both deceased, which makes my older brother Enzzal the count and head of the family. He is one for order and appearance and he feels strongly that it is nigh time I am wed. Even went so far as to pick a suitor and offer him my dowry. Needless to say, I was furious. Oh, Alkinu … the soldier I am to wed … is nice enough, I suppose, but married life is not for me. I want my independence. I want to see the world and go on adventures, like you. Not stay at home and entertain the guests. But Enzzal was insistent, so I had to flee. Leave my home and friends. My brother has much influence in Anzakàr and sent soldiers to find me and drag me back home. I was able to avoid them, but unfortunately, my only hope to be free is to keep traveling further away, despite never see my home again.” Lachaidiga's eyes water at the thought. “So, as you can see, it’s not much of a tale.” 

“But you, you’re all alone,” Dalen says with concern. “Are you not afraid?”

“A bit,” she agrees. “But I’m far from helpless. Like your friend, the mouse-killer, I am versed in the magical arts.”

“So you are a wizard then?”

“I prefer Sorceress. At least that’s what they called me back home.”

The pair turn their gaze back to the water where the playful dolphins still follow alongside the vessel. For several moments the silence hangs thick in the air. Lachaidiga’s forlorn expression returned with greater heaviness as she watches the graceful sea mammals leap and play, free and seemingly without care. Dalen, noting the longing in her eyes, rests a comforting hand on the small of her back.

“I’ll make you a deal,” she says, breaking the silence. “Should our journey turn out to be a bit too boring . . . no run-ins with pirates nor encounters with fearsome sea monsters . . . I do have some stories from my life in Anzakàr and my flight from home that might thrill even an adventuresome dwarf like you. I’d be willing to share, provided you agree to keep me company. What do you say, Dalen, Hunter of Tales?”

“I’d say you have a deal, Lachaidiga the Sorceress!”

He reaches out his hand once again to seal the agreement with a handshake. Ignoring the extended hand, Lachaidiga leans in to give the dwarf a gentle kiss on the cheek.

Wrap up:

To learn more about the real Lachaidiga (or should I say, the real character), you can read about her adventures here.

(Read next chapter here.)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... I suppose I really had better stop neglecting my old games or all my PCs will desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to see it as an opportunity to get her here. 😁

    ReplyDelete